Seeking a gluten-free snack that’s as nutritious as it is delicious? Look no further than our Healthy Homemade Pumpkin Seed Crackers. Made with homemade pumpkin seed flour and a blend of tasty seeds, these crackers offer a delightful crunch and flavor that’s sure to satisfy your snack cravings. I also love to add them on top of a salad for a little crunch and added nutrients.
Why This Recipe Works
This recipe stands out for its simplicity and rich flavor. The combination of pumpkin seed flour, hemp seeds, sesame seeds, and savory seasonings makes these crackers a protein-rich and gluten-free treat. Plus, they are easy to make at home!
- Pumpkin Seed Flour: Ground from pumpkin seeds, this flour adds a nutty flavor and is rich in healthy fats, magnesium, and zinc.
To make your own pumpkin flour, add pumpkin seeds to a blender and process until a flour-like consistency. Then pass through a sieve to remove any leftover coarse bits. The one in the shop is always super green, so I was a bit sad when my homemade version turned out to be a light green (wondering if some brands are adding food coloring), and I will confess to adding a few pinches of matcha to give it that bright green color you see on the video. It’s probably a waste of matcha (you could not taste it, and it lost its color while cooking), but it made me very happy for a few minutes!
- Hemp Seeds: Known for their high level of omega-3 fatty acids, hemp seeds add a pleasant texture and a boost of protein.
- Sesame Seeds: Using both black and white sesame seeds gives a visual appeal and extra crunch. Sesame seeds are a good source of calcium on a plant-based diet.
- Nutritional Yeast: The magic ingredient! Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, meaning it does not make your food rise. It has a cheesy umami flavor. You will often see it in plant-based recipes as a cheese replacer. But best of all, it’s a great source of B vitamins and is surprisingly high in protein, with 2 to 4g of protein per tablespoon, depending on the brand you’re using.
Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the olive oil and warm water and stir well until thoroughly combined. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes, allowing the ingredients to bind together.
Place the mixture on baking paper, covering it with a second piece. Roll out to approximately 0.3 cm thick using a rolling pin. Remove the top layer of baking paper. It can be a little sticky, so I really recommend using the two-baking paper sheet method.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until crispy. All ovens are slightly different, so check for desired crispiness and adjust cooking time as needed.
Allow the crackers to cool down, then break apart with your hands. Enjoy your homemade healthy pumpkin seed crackers!
- Can I use store-bought pumpkin seed flour? Yes, absolutely! Pumpkin seeds are more widely available than pumpkin flour, so we wanted to give you the option, but both are fine.
- Is it vegan? Absolutely! This recipe is 100% vegan and gluten-free.
- How long can I store the crackers? Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Is it nut free? Yes, these crackers are made with seeds, which means they are safe for nut-free allergies and are suitable to add to your kids’ lunch box too!
Variations and Tips
Feel free to experiment with different seasonings or add different seeds for additional texture. Remember to adjust cooking times if you change the thickness of the crackers.
Enjoy these Healthy Homemade Pumpkin Seed Crackers as a snack, or pair them with your favorite dips and spreads. Happy snacking!
Let’s get into it!
Homemade Healthy Pumpkin Seed Crackers
- ¾ cup pumpkin seed flour
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup sesame seeds (black and white)
- 1 tsp onion flakes (or powder)
- 1 tsp garlic flakes (or powder)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup warm water
- Preheat the oven to 320 °F
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the olive oil and warm water and stir well until thoroughly combined. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes, allowing the ingredients to blend together.
- Place the mixture on baking paper, covering with a second piece. Roll out to approximately 0.3 cm thick using a rolling pin. Remove the top layer of baking paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until crispy. Check for desired crispiness and adjust cooking time as needed.
- Allow the crackers to cool down, then break apart with your hands. Enjoy your homemade pumpkin seed crackers as a delicious snack.