Lasagna might be my favorite food ever. It’s always been my family’s go-to when hosting. I have the fondest memories of my dad making enough to feed 25 people for long Sunday lunches. It’s my ultimate comfort food, and I’m so happy with this meal prep version because I get to eat it multiple times a week! It’s incredibly nourishing and high in protein, with 52 g per serving!
Why This Recipe Works
High Protein: With 52g of protein, this lasagna is a great option for those looking to up their protein intake.
Easy to Make: Simplified from the original recipe, it’s straightforward and perfect for beginners.
Meal Prep Friendly: Make it once, and you have lunches sorted for the week. Vegan: Made entirely from plant-based ingredients.
Begin by preheating your oven to 200C. Soak the TVP in boiling water. Cook onions in a pot for 5 minutes. Add veggies and seasonings and cook for another 10 minutes. Stir in TVP and tomatoes and let it simmer. Blend the ingredients for basil cream and liquid mozzarella. Layer your lasagna and bake according to pasta instructions. Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP): A dehydrated soy mince. It’s very affordable and a great source of plant-based protein.
Silken Tofu: Adds creaminess and protein to the basil cream.
Nutritional Yeast: Adds a cheesy flavor without the dairy. Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, meaning it does not make the food rise. It does bring a surprising amount of protein, with most brands offering 2 to 4g per tablespoon. It’s also rich in B vitamins. Its umami, cheesy taste, and health benefits make it a fantastic add-on to many savory meals.
Balsamic Vinegar: Adds a touch of sweetness and acidity to balance the flavors.
- Is this recipe gluten-free? It can be, just make sure to use gluten-free lasagna sheets.
- Can I freeze it? Yes, it freezes well for up to a month.
Variations and Tips
Spice it Up: Add some chili flakes for heat.
Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free lasagna sheets.
Extra Veggies: Feel free to add more of your favorite vegetables.
Why You’ll Love This High Protein Vegan Lasagna
- Easy to Meal Prep
High Protein Vegan Lasagna (Meal Prep)
- 6 Dry Lasagna Sheets (Snap in half)
- 200 g textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 cups diced mushroom
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1.2 kg diced tomatoes (3 cans)
- 300 g silken tofu
- ½ cup soy milk
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup spinach
- 1.5 tbsp tapioca flour
- ¼ cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 dash salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F (200C)
- Cover the TVP with boiling water (you can add 'beef' stock powder if you have it on hand).
- To a pot on medium heat, add the oil and onions. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, capsicum carrots, garlic, oregano, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the TVP, and diced tomatoes and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Add all the basil cream ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the mozzarella ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- To build the lasagna, start with a layer of Bolognese, followed by a layer of pasta, bolognese, basil cream, and pasta and repeat to the top. Finish with a thin layer of bolognese topped with liquid mozzarella.
- Cook in the oven according to the pasta instructions. Allow 5 minutes to rest. Enjoy!