Wow, this one has become an instant all-time favorite! Sweet & Spicy Roasted Veggies on a Roasted Garlic & White Bean Spread is definitely a mouthful (a very tasty one at that 😂), but it was just so difficult to name such a unique and delicious recipe and do it justice! Both the roasted veggies and white bean spread are super nourishing and delicious in their own right, and when combined, it’s an absolute explosion of flavor. The best part is the oven does most of the work for you, and there’ll be leftover garlic & white bean spread to enjoy throughout the week! You can definitely halve the recipe if you’re using a smaller blender, but trust me, you’ll appreciate the leftovers! I have mine on toast, with crackers, in wraps, etc., all week long, and it’s AMAZING!
- Protein-Packed: Each serving offers a substantial 30g of protein, primarily from the yogurt, cannellini beans and chickpeas, essential for muscle growth and repair.
- High in Fiber: With 23g of fiber per serving, this dish aids in digestion and promotes a feeling of fullness. The beans, chickpeas, and veggies like Brussels sprouts are key contributors.
- Rich in Vitamins: Vitamin A (814IU) is a standout, mainly from the carrots, which are known for eye health benefits.
- Mineral Boost: Provides essential minerals like Calcium (307mg) from soy yogurt and Iron (9mg) mainly from beans and chickpeas, which are important for bone health and energy production respectively.
Why This Recipe Works
- Flavor Explosion: The combination of za’atar, maple syrup, garlic confit, tangy yogurt, and harissa spices gives a unique taste.
- High-Protein: Thanks to the white bean spread, this is a protein-packed vegan recipe.
- Nutrient-Dense: Packed with vitamins and minerals.
- Versatile Spread: The white bean spread can be used in various other dishes, too. I especially like it as a sandwich spread or even as a super creamy salad dressing.
- Quick to Prepare: This recipe is very hands-off and easy to make, with the oven doing most of the work for you.
- Full of Fiber: The roasted veggies and beans provide a good dose of dietary fiber.
- Vegan and Gluten-Free friendly: This recipe is completely plant-based and naturally gluten-free.
Start by preheating your oven to 400F (200C) the perfect temperature for roasting veggies. Place the garlic, olive oil, and rosemary in a small oven-safe dish. Cover the dish and roast in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. This will infuse the oil with the flavors of garlic and rosemary. Prepare the white bean spread by blending roasted garlic, cannellini beans, soy yogurt, and fresh lemon juice.
Toss the chickpeas, Brussels sprouts, and carrots in a delightful mix of za’atar, harissa, and maple syrup. Roast these veggies to perfection, ensuring they are caramelized and flavorful. Serve by spreading a generous amount of the white bean spread on a plate and topping it with the roasted veggies. Garnish with diced pistachios and fresh herbs.
- Is this recipe gluten-free? Yes, it’s naturally gluten-free.
- Can I use other veggies? Absolutely, feel free to experiment.
- Can I use another yogurt? Absolutely, any thick consistency and neutral taste yogurt will work. We chose soy as it has a higher protein content than most dairy-free options. Changing the yogurt will lower the protein content of the dish.
- How long can I store the white bean spread? It can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Variations and Tips
- Try roasting different veggies like bell peppers or zucchini for a variation.
- Add a drizzle of tahini on top for an extra layer of flavor.
- For a nutty twist, sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds before serving.
- We recommend using a thick soy yogurt for this one. The texture of the yogurt will affect the texture of the dip. If you’re unsure about your yogurt consistency, I’d recommend starting with 1/2 the quantity required and adding as needed to achieve a smooth but thick dip.
- Although both cooked from dry and canned beans are perfectly healthy to consume, they have slightly different textures, with canned beans being softer and yielding more liquid. If you’re using beans cooked from dry, and not getting a perfectly smooth consistency, I’d recommend adding a few ice cubes to the blender.
Why You’ll Love These Sweet & Spicy Roasted Veggies on a White Bean Spread
- Deliciously Spiced
- Easy to Prepare
Sweet & Spicy Roasted Veggies on a White Bean Spread
White bean/roasted garlic spread
- ½ garlic head (about 10 small cloves)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 rosemary sprig (optional)
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 1 lemon juiced (3 tbsp)
- salt + pepper to taste
- 5 ice cubes (if using beans that are cooked from dry (not canned))
- 1.5 cups chickpeas
- 10 Brussels sprouts cut in quarters
- 3 carrots diced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp za’atar spices
- ½ tbsp harissa
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp diced pistachios
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander and/or parsley
- Preheat your oven to 400 °F (200C). This will ensure it's hot enough for roasting the vegetables and garlic.
- Place the garlic, olive oil, and rosemary in a small oven-safe dish. Cover the dish and roast in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. This will infuse the oil with the flavors of garlic and rosemary.
- In a blender, combine the roasted garlic, cannellini beans, yogurt, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and half of the olive oil. Blend for 1 minute to combine the ingredients. Note: If your beans are cooked from dry (not canned), you might want to add a few ice cubes to the blender and process until the mixture is perfectly smooth. This will give your white bean spread a creamy texture. Beans from a can retain more liquid so you likely won't need to add ice.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining olive oil, za’atar, harissa, maple syrup, and salt. This will be the spice mix for your vegetables.
- Place the chickpeas, carrots, and Brussels sprouts on a baking tray. Toss them with the spice mix until they’re well coated.
- Roast the spiced vegetables in the oven for 20 minutes. This will give them a delicious, caramelized flavor.
- To serve, spread about 1 cup of the white bean/garlic spread on each plate. Top with the roasted veggies, sprinkle with diced pistachios and fresh herbs. Enjoy your Sweet & Spicy Roasted Veggies on a Roasted Garlic & White Bean Spread!