These quesadillas are delicious, super easy to put together and made mostly of pantry and budget-friendly items. I love having them with roasted veggies or a little salad on the side.
They each pack 33g of protein, making them super satiating and a great option if you’re looking to bump your protein intake. We are using TVP, which is dehydrated soy. It’s very affordable, high in protein, and has a mince-like texture once rehydrated. You can find it at all the main supermarkets in Australia. Have you tried it?
This recipe also makes a great meal-prep as it keeps well in the fridge, just keep the chickpea mix, queso and wraps separated and assemble just before heating up!
High-Protein Chickpea Quesadillas
- 100 g TVP
- 1 tsp plant-based beef stock powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpea
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 5 large wholegrain wraps
- 300 g Silken tofu
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 4 tbsp hemp seeds
- 3 tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce
- ½ cup soy milk
- Start by combining the TVP, stock powder, and 1.5 cups of boiling water in a bowl. Allow this mixture to rest for 5 minutes to rehydrate the TVP.
- In a large pan on medium heat, add the olive oil and diced onions. Cook these for about 5 minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Add the diced capsicum, cumin, oregano, chickpeas, and rehydrated TVP to the pan. Cook this mixture for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure even cooking.
- While the chickpea mix is cooking, prepare the sauce. In a blender, combine the silken tofu, nutritional yeast, hemp seeds, chipotle in adobo sauce, and soy milk. Blend until smooth.
- Once the chickpea mix is cooked, add the baby spinach and cook for another 2 minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- Spread a generous amount of the sauce onto a wholegrain wrap. Add a portion of the chickpea mix and fold the wrap into a quesadilla. Repeat this process for the remaining wraps.
- Cook the quesadillas in a pan on medium heat for about 2 minutes on each side until they are golden brown and crispy. Serve with extra sauce on the side for dipping.