You’ve got to try this incredible Roasted Butternut Squash, Turmeric Quinoa and Avocado Salad with tahini dressing. It has a whopping 13mg of iron, 27g of fiber, and 25g of protein in each serving. It’s loaded with over 10 different plants, so you’re really getting a diverse range of nutrients.
The prep is super easy, but the flavors are absolutely standout. You start with the basics like butternut squash and chickpeas, but then you kick it up a notch with harissa paste and dried apricots. The tahini dressing is the perfect finishing touch and so simple to whip up.
Honestly, if you’re looking for a meal that’s both health-boosting and utterly delicious, this is the one. You’re going to love it!
Why This Recipe Works
- Protein Rich: With 25g of protein, thanks to ingredients like chickpeas, quinoa, and tahini.
- Rich in Fiber: Packed with 27g of fiber per serving.
- Easy to Make: Simple ingredients and straightforward steps.
- Flavorful: The tahini dressing and harissa paste add a unique kick.
Preheat your oven to 375 F/190 C. Combine the harissa and olive oil and drizzle over the butternut squash and chickpeas. Bake for 20 minutes. Rinse the quinoa and cook it with turmeric. Blend the tahini dressing ingredients. Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, adjust the seasoning, and enjoy.
Butternut squash brings a natural sweetness and vibrant color to the salad. You can even cut the butternut squash in advance as part of your meal-prep to make it easier to throw together throughout the week. Roasted butternut squash is so delicious!
Quinoa is a protein and fiber-rich wholegrain that serves as the base of this salad. Make sure to rinse it thoroughly under cold water to remove any saponins, which can make it taste bitter. The addition of turmeric not only gives the quinoa a beautiful golden color but also comes with some extra anti-inflammatory properties.
The tahini dressing is a blend of tahini, lemon juice, and maple syrup. It’s incredibly versatile—you can adjust its consistency by adding water until it reaches your desired thickness. The dressing adds a nutty, creamy texture that complements the other ingredients perfectly.
- Is this salad gluten-free? Yes, it’s naturally gluten-free.
- Is it vegan? Absolutely, it’s a plant-based salad recipe.
- Can I use a different dressing? Yes, but the salad dressing recipe with tahini is highly recommended.
Variations and Tips
If you’re looking to boost the protein content even further, consider adding some grilled tofu or tempeh to the salad.
Spice It Up
For those who like a little heat, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes or a dash of cayenne pepper can add a spicy kick.
Make It Nut-Free
If you have a nut allergy, you can easily substitute the macadamia nuts with sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.
Feel free to swap out the mesclun salad for other leafy greens like spinach or kale, depending on what’s in season.
If tahini isn’t your thing, you can also try this salad with a balsamic vinaigrette or a lemon-herb dressing for a different flavor profile.
This salad is perfect for meal prep. Just store the dressing separately to keep the salad fresh, and combine when you’re ready to eat.
Why You’ll Love This Roasted Butternut Squash, Turmeric Quinoa and Avocado Salad
- Easy to make
Roasted Butternut Squash, Turmeric Quinoa & Avocado Salad
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 1.5 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 tsp olive oil (divided)
- ½ tbsp harissa paste
- ½ cup dry quinoa
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 6 dried apricots (chopped)
- 3 cups mesclun salad
- ⅓ cup chopped mint
- ½ avocado (diced)
- 2 tbsp chopped macadamia nuts
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup water (to thin to desired consistency)
- Preheat your oven to 375 F/190 C.
- In a bowl, mix harissa and olive oil. Drizzle this mixture over the diced butternut squash and chickpeas. Toss to coat evenly. Season with a dash of salt. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes until tender and slightly crispy.
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water to remove any residue. In a pot, combine the rinsed quinoa, turmeric, and a dash of black pepper. Cook according to the package instructions. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, blend or whisk together the tahini, lemon juice, and maple syrup. Add water to thin the dressing to your desired consistency.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the roasted butternut squash, chickpeas, cooled quinoa, mesclun salad, chopped mint, diced avocado, and chopped macadamia nuts. Drizzle the tahini dressing over the top. Toss to combine. Adjust salt and black pepper to taste.