Wow, I’m so obsessed with this vegan fried egg! The texture is really awesome, and the addition of Kala Namak makes it super eggy. Kala namak also known as ‘black salt’, is a volcanic rock salt with a sulfuric taste. It’s pretty mind-blowing how much it makes it tastes like egg. You can purchase it online or in Indian shops.
We’ve been asked a lot recently about why a vegan would want to replicate animal food, and although I can’t speak for everyone, we decided to adopt a plant-based diet for ethical and health reasons, not because we didn’t enjoy the taste of animal products anymore. And sometimes it’s just fun to recreate some classic food such as the classic brunch item, fried egg on avocado toast! So if you’ve been wanting to enjoy it without breaking an egg, this is the recipe for you!
Vegan Fried ‘Egg’
- ⅔ cups silken tofu
- ⅔ cups rice flour
- ¼ cups soy milk
- ½ tsp black salt
- 100 g cooked sweet potato
- ¼ tsp black salt
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Start by blending all the ‘Egg’ white ingredients in a blender until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- In a clean blender, combine all the 'yolks' ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Heat up a pan on medium heat. Add a little oil, pour some of the egg white mixture in a circle and top with some of the yolk mixture.
- Cook covered for about 1.5 minutes. Your vegan fried ‘egg’ is ready to be served and enjoyed!